Stay In Touch

Grounds for Modifications in Rhode Island

What are the grounds for the modification of a court order after divorce?

Generally speaking, there must be a substantial change in circumstances for the court to approve a change to a divorce order. Some of the grounds that could allow for a modification include the following:

  • 3 years have passed since a child support order was issued;
  • A significant increase or decrease in the income of one party;
  • Remarriage;
  • Reduced employment income;
  • Job change;
  • Significant health changes, such as a serious illness or injury;
  • Medical costs that have significantly increased;
  • Retirement;
  • A significant change in the cost of living;
  • Other factors.

If you are hoping to modify an existing court order, whether an alimony modification, custody modification, child support modification or related to a parent relocating, contact my firm, The Law Office of Patricia A. Sullivan for assistance. I have served as counsel in a wide range of family law matters for more than 30 years, and I am very familiar with the process of seeking and obtaining a modification. The most commonly requested modification is a child support modification.

Read what our clients have to say about us.

Do I need an attorney for modifying the terms of my family court order?

It is important that you consult with an attorney if you want to request a modification. How your case is presented to the court can make a difference in the decision. I have extensive experience serving as counsel in all divorce and family law matters, and can professionally prepare and present your modification request for you.

The first step is to contact me so I can review your situation and advise you about what can be done to help you. I can also assist in fighting a modification if my client believes that it is not fair, or that any false information is being submitted to the court. My objective is to help my clients resolve these issues quickly, and with the least amount of difficulty, so that he or she can move ahead with life without a court matter pending.